Are You Ready
Disasters disrupt thousands of lives every year. Each disaster has lasting effects both to people and property.
If a disaster occurs in your community, local government and disaster relief organizations will try to help you but you need to be ready as well. Local responders may not be able to reach you immediately or they may need to focus their efforts elsewhere.
Are You Ready? An In-depth Guide to Citizen Preparedness has been designed to help the citizens of this nation learn how to protect themselves and their families against all types of hazards. It can be used as a reference source or as a step-by-step manual. The focus of the content is on how to develop, practice, and maintain emergency plans that reflect what must be done before, during, and after a disaster to protect people and their property. Also included is information on how to assemble a disaster supplies kit that contains the food, water, and other supplies in sufficient quantity for individuals and their families to survive following a disaster in the event they must rely on their own resources.
The City of Healdsburg utilizes NIXLE to communicate important, time-sensitive information to the community via live text* and/or email alerts. Depending on the settings the user selects, these alerts can include everything from road closures to critical alerts such as missing persons, wildfire, or evacuation notices. The service is secure, reliable and easy for you to use. If we can’t CONTACT you we can ALERT you!
AN INFORMED COMMUNITY IS A SAFER COMMUNITY – SIGN UP TODAY!
What information will I receive when I sign up for NIxle?
- The information you receive will depend on the preferences you specify when you register for
Nixle on Nixle.com
- Your preferences allow you to pinpoint locations you want to receive information pertaining to
- You can select agencies that you are interested in receiving information from – the more
agencies you select the more alerts you will receive
- You determine the priority level of the messages you wish to receive: Alert, Advisory, or Community (explained below)
- You may unsubscribe from text, email or web alerts at any time via the Nixle website or text stop in response to Nixle message received.
Once signed up, residents will receive Alerts, Advisories, and Community information from the City of Healdsburg, Healdsburg Police Department, Fire Department, Public Works and Utility Departments. The messages will come through with these types of content. You decide what message levels you want to receive when you register online.
The three types of notifications to choose from, in order of importance, are defined as:
- “ALERT” - Urgent information; significant in-progress events; the highest priority; ALERT level will be used for emergencies requiring immediate attention. Life Safety emergencies.
- “ADVISORY” - Important information where vigilance and awareness are necessary; does not have the immediate importance or time sensitivity of an ALERT; may include major road closures, missing persons.
- “COMMUNITY” – Messages of general community interest; not news releases that can be circulated by routine means; lowest priority; "other" notices.
Federal, state, and local emergency management experts and other official preparedness organizations all agree that "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" is the appropriate action to reduce injury and death during earthquakes. Practice how to protect ourselves during earthquakes. Click here for the "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" page that explains what to do and what not to do during an earthquake.